You can pick a monthly subscription, starting at $6/mo. Or you can do a one-time donation in varying amounts (say, 10,000,000 page views for $1600 ) - if you do a one-time, select not to apply them, and Admin can apply them as-needed.
Post by helentishappy on Jun 3, 2016 18:30:25 GMT -5
You know, if what I've seen here today that look vaguely like ads is what no having paid for no-ads looks like, it's really quite acceptable. If the banners at top and bottom of the page (I am viewing through Chrome on an iPhone, I don't know what it looks like on a computer) are all the ads there are, I kind of vote for not worrying about paying to stay ad-free. Now, if the ads were pop-ups or irritating ads that cover part of the bottom of the screen constantly that would be a different story...
Edited to add: of course as soon as I post this I see no ads anymore.
Last Edit: Jun 3, 2016 18:35:27 GMT -5 by helentishappy
1) I have recently reconfigured that non-members DO see the ads. (Otherwise, non-members are eating up our ad-free views.)
2) So, if you want to see how "terrible" the ads look, either logout and browse the site a bit, or use the "Private" or "Incongnito" mode of your browser.
3) I kind of agree with Helen that they are not so terrible. So I do appreciate our supporters / benefactors... but I'm not going to sweat it too much if our usage outstrips our donors and we have to put up with (read: ignore) the ads.
4) If you saw these ads on May 30 or 31, that is because I didn't want to "spend" a block of 50,000 ad-free page views when we'd only use ~10 to 15,000 of them.
5) If you saw ads on June 2 or 3, maybe you were not logged in. If you were, then it must have been some other ProBoards glitch... or I have it wrong that our "usage counts" re-start on the first of the month.
2) BEFORE you select an "Ad-Free Type" from the dropdown, scroll to the MIDDLE of the page: click the "Log In Here" link from the section "Your Forum Account".
Well, this is not required, per se. If you do login then: - You'll have access to the "recurring donation option". - If you donate one time or recurring, I'll be able to see the login that provided the donation.
EITHER WAY (logged in or not) I CANNOT SEE YOUR REAL NAME OR ANY CREDIT CARD INFO. ProBoards knows that, but it is NOT shared with me or the mods.
3) Now regard the top section, and select an "Ad-Free Type" of your liking: a one-time contribution of $8 (or multiples), OR a recurring contribution of $6/month.
I want to thank itsjustus for becoming our most recent "Forum Benefactor". He and three others each chip in a $6 per month to keep this forum ad-free. (You'll know who they are when you see the "Forum Benefactor" title under the "stars" in the left-hand panel.
When I asked if I could publicly thank him, he replied:
EP saved my life and I want to "pay it forward" I did there, and since all the people who helped me so much...like baza (of course. Lol) and now smilin61 , and many others!
I'm incredibly proud of this sentiment, and for ALL the support offered here: financial, but more importantly: emotional.
Another "thank you" is in order: petrushka made a one-time contirbution, and now earns the title "Forum Supporter".
FYI, here's how ProBoards works as far as paying for an "Ad-Free" experience:
- ProBoards counts "page views". So every time a member clicks on a link that opens a page on the forum, that is is a "page view". - Each of our monthly contributions gives us 50,000 page views each month. - If we stay under that limit, we see no ads. - If we go over, THEN we start to "use up" the One-Time contributions. They are each good for 50,000 page views as well.
At this point we seem to have "the right amount" of monthly benefactors, and have a comfortable "buffer" of one time contributions.
BTW: Non-members DON'T use up page views; they still see ads.
Thank you all, and especially to our Benefactors and Supporters.
WOW.... sometime in the past few months our usage must have SKYROCKETED, as we have blown through not only our "ad-free" page allowance for the month, but also all the "extra dollops" of page views that were from one time contributions.
Would anyone be willing to step up with a recurring (or one-time) contribution to keep the forum ad-free?
This the "Shoutbox" -- basically a site-wide, group chat. (It's only visible to members.)
misssunnybunny: Hooray! Glad to hear the pup is home safe and sound!
Sept 3, 2017 20:13:39 GMT -5
brian: My dog went to jail once... she got out, ran to a neighbors house, and they called the police. They came and picked her up and took her to the station instead of the pound. The cops found me plastering the neighborhood with Lost Dog signs.
Sept 4, 2017 6:42:33 GMT -5
brian: So she spent a cpl hours in a jail cell. Hardened criminal, she is!
Sept 4, 2017 6:42:56 GMT -5
solodriver: That's great news wfm2 I'm sure you're both happy! He probably had a scary adventure.
Sept 4, 2017 10:54:40 GMT -5
LITW: so glad you got your dog back ... we had a similar situation a few weeks ago, and its not fun
Sept 6, 2017 9:44:59 GMT -5
greatcoastal: I've got this windy, wet, rain making, idea that I'll be trying out sometime Sunday night. I'll send it to all my friends North of me when I'm done. It'll be a blast!
Sept 7, 2017 9:08:54 GMT -5
misssunnybunny: Anyone else having trouble uploading images? I've tried on Safari, Firefox, Chrome. The image thing keeps telling me that jpg is invalid/not supported file format, and I know I've uploaded plenty as jpg images in the past.
Sept 8, 2017 16:49:16 GMT -5
petrushka: I'll give it a shot and see ...
Sept 9, 2017 2:14:37 GMT -5
petrushka: no rejection experienced, misssunnybunny - I can only conclude that maybe your jpg is corrupt, or maybe your connection was a bit wonky
Sept 9, 2017 2:26:12 GMT -5
tamara68: I had that problem too @missunnybunny, my jpg surely was not currupt but maybe too big. I have just tried with a small image and that worked.
Sept 9, 2017 3:30:19 GMT -5
misssunnybunny: I was able to post pictures yesterday. I'm not sure what the problem was, it just started working again. Ah, technology!
Sept 9, 2017 7:04:41 GMT -5
obobfla: Staying inside with canned goods, bottled water, and flashlights. Still have power, internet, and cable.
Sept 10, 2017 19:05:59 GMT -5